Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Hi people,

Hope everyone is enjoying the week so far. The year is speeding by or is it just me? It felt like just yesterday I was happy that it was friday and it is mid-week already. Are u one of those people who are already taking stock, looking at what you can still achieve before the year ends? Anybody? Oohkay. I know you guys are just like me. :-) Though I am not one to make new year resolutions, I have goals for the day, week, month etc. I don't know if that is more tasking cos if I don't do something that was scheduled for one day, it automatically joins the activities of the following day. This makes some days overwhelming.

Lately I have been thinking about social media, technology and its effects. We can all say that there are huge benefits in the social networks. Connecting with people you haven't seen in a long while and making new friends is just at the tip of our thumbs. Gossip is also easily accessed. But after reading an excerpt from a newspaper article where men were lamenting the loss of their wives, I started looking at it in a different light. Cos of technology, you don't have to go out of your house to have an affair. Men and Women are both guilty* I don't agree that it is only men losing wives, even some women are losing husbands*. These days, we all want to stay connected. Gone are the days when you go out and chat with someone while waiting, everyone is tuned to their phones, tapping, smiling and LOLing away. Even when you make a new contact, some people find it difficult to chat face to face, instead they are asking for your pin or number. I am also guilty of texting instead of calling. Anyways that is a different story.

You know how we have people we chat with on a regular basis, people on our bb contact list who we exchange fun, spiritual and sometimes lewd forwarded messages with. Sometimes things develop. I have heard of people getting close to the people on the otherside of the smartphone just cos they feel either their partners are not as understanding as the guy or gal they exchange IMs with. Ofcourse they forget that writing and speaking are different. Just like reading and hearing is diiferent.That person will only share what they want you to know and behave or comment in ways they know you want to hear. I used to have a friend who used to be a coursemate during my Uni days. He was just one of those guys in class that you shared more than a hi with but nothing heavy. Now this guy is one of my bb contacts. We chat sometimes till he started rapping nonsense. He would make suggestive comments and once he shared his sexual fantasy with me in the center of it. I told him I don't roll that way. He said I shouldn't be uptight everyone is doing it. I told him I wasn't everyone and don't appreciate such comments. He apologized promised not to do it again. The next time he tried it, I didn't even respond, I went straight to my 'del' button *thank God it works* and deleted him from my list. Someone said that was too harsh I should have just ignored him, I said no way. So people where do you draw the line.

23 comments:

  1. I don't think your reaction is too harsh, especially since you told him you are not cool with what he was trying to do prior to deleting him. The problem with Facebook and BlackBerry messenger is they can cause a false sense of familiarity between people that you don't actually have a close relationship with.

    You make a good point about people who form attachments to their chat partner, not thinking that the other person might not be sharing their full selves online. It reminds me of people who leave their spouse (who has 75% of what they want in a partner) for someone who has that missing 25% but doesn't have the other 75%...bad deal, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, i don't think you were too harsh either (even though i'm generally of the "just ignore them" variety). Its not as if you didn't express to him that what he was doing wasn't cool. Besides, if he's not someone relevant in your real life, what do you need to keep him for?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did the right thing jare...hissss

    Technology has really changed society...it's ridiculous what u can do with a simple phone

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since you knew him before, I would've said give him another chance to get the message, but he might be the type never to get it so....

    I feel you on over familiarity. I generally add people freely on FB but BB is strictly by IV. One guy kept pestering me, after telling him three times, I had to block him too. Better to be proactive in these things. After one stalker, I've learnt my lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Pikin wey wan spoil go spoil,e no matter weda you dey lock am for house or allow am go out".If i should relate that to this matter at hand,i'll say it doesn't matter whether it's social network or real network,those who don't discipline themselves will still do what they wanna do.Don't get me wrong though,technology has made it alot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that the success of social media(s) like facebook is more about voyeurism. What does so-and-so look like after so many years? Are they successful? I hope not. I got a new friend request from someone I knew in primary 5(12th grade right?), I MUST CONFIRM!.....complete waste of time.Before you know it, you start competing with your old "seasonal" friends...we just have to move on sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i dont think all the blame should be on the social network, some people are just like that.
    its a good decision yu made to block that guy

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely did the right thing deleting him.
    "Of course they forget that writing and speaking are different" in fact God has already blessed you for that statement... anyone can be perfect over the phone or IM.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did the right thing jare

    I dont BB, facebook or twitter.....na only blog I do

    If anyone loves me tooooo much, call or email me. I no fit shout..LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the whole idea of this technology forwardness! I dont think you were too harsh....for what now?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do u have to hit him on the head for him to get the simple "i dnt roll like dat" ni? mshew. U did the right thing jere. I agree with Dblog tho. some pple just wana keep tabs on ur life. I added a frnd from high school & 4 d 2months she was on my contact list, the only conversation we had was d 1st "babe, wasap, hope ur gud" Fini. I just deleted her ni jere. she can get me on fb if she needs to hook up

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone's concensus on the guy was on point jare. That was the best thing. Social networking to me has more cons than pros. Its just good to put moderation into every thing ni jare. Maybe we should all take stock for once to list the actual good we've gained from all these tools. We would be amazed at what we discover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Since the guy refused to take heed the first time you told him off, he deserved what came his way. I would do the same if i were in your shoes. No time for too much talk abeg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would do the same thing too. It wasn't harsh at all. Can you imagine the imagination, everybody is doing it so abeg go and jump inside somewhere..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Haaa! I've done this before too so no way, its not harsh. Glad i found your blog, you write really well

    Adiya
    http://museorigins.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. HAPPY BIrthday OKEOGHENE!. MAy the good Lord bless you. May He grace you with long life, good health and prosperity. Congratulations..

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday dear. Trust you are doing great, even though you have been MIA. May God enlarge your coast. May He favour you and cause you to shout in amazement at the things He will do in your life. In Jesus Name. Amen. Have a wonderful celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am still hoping to achieve plenty before 2011 tunes out. the year is not over for me until it is over

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your reaction was perfectly alright. Na so handshake wan pass elbow..mscheew.

    BB is the most irritating. The worst is when you are with someone IRL and they dont give you attention cos they are BBing...very rude i tell you.

    Hope you're good dear.

    ReplyDelete
  22. great blog!!! following you now...
    visit my blog for my international new year giveaways!!!

    http://voguelyvan.blogspot.com/

    kisses!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. i would have done the same.....

    HIT DELETE BUTTON before it goes any deeper jare...

    ReplyDelete